Monday, July 4, 2011

South Africa: Overcoming Fear With God

May 13, 2008, while serving in a country overseas I became a survivor of an extremely violent sexual assault. A man broke into my apartment, beat me, cut me, and attempted to rape me. Since then I have been on a conscious journey of healing working to get back on my feet. I accepted my call to ministry, started seminary, went to counseling, and spoke out about sexual violence and the importance of working to live a non-violent lifestyle. The journey has been good, but also rough. There has been a lot of fear, a lot of hurt, some resistance, and probably hundreds of restless nights. However, I am now realizing that with all of the pain as well as joy this journey is leading to something.

Today I travel to South Africa to serve for the rest of the summer. This is the first time in three years I have stepped out and worked to serve in another country. Am I afraid? Yes, the thoughts of fear enter my mind often. But, I know I am called for a purpose. Today I reached in my wallet and found a silver coin that a man in the store randomly handed to me with a smile. It read, “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and future (Jeremiah, 29:11).” This text was encouraging to me. It made me realize that if I allowed myself to be overcome with fear and the negative, traumatic experiences from the past I would not be able to serve the way I have been called to. And I would live in fear everyday of my life. Today, I declare that the God of love and peace extends that same love and peace to me and to you. He is rooting for us and is actually holding our hand every step of the way. Even when things get or seem rough.

Over the next six weeks I will be in South Africa. I will be in Johannesburg, South Africa visiting a women’s shelter with People Opposing Women Abuse. I will then preach in Giyani, South Africa. Next, I will travel to Durban, South Africa to visit Ela Gandhi and to also volunteer at St. Philomenas Children Home. Finally, I will travel to Pietermaritzburg, South Africa to study at the University of KwaZulu Natal and volunteer at the Ujamma Centre. The goal is to learn a model of bible study called contextual bible study where the bible is used as a tool of liberation for people living with HIV and AIDS. My goal is to learn this model and adapt it for survivors of sexual violence. I am excited about learning and serving again without limits. There is some reservation, however, I know that Big G (God) has my back. What happened to me 3 years ago will never happen to me again. Regardless of the situation the God of love covers me.

If there is ever a time where you fear, doubt, or have feelings that keep you from moving forward in your purpose. Please do know that God will never leave or forsake you.

God Bless You,


Argrow “Kit”

3 comments:

  1. One simple yet powerful word...Faith. I can't wait to hear more about the substance you obtain while on your journey. Love u sis--remain strong in the power of His might.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your message is so inspiring and full of hope. Thinking of you Kit. Praying for safe travels and a truly transforming experience and looking forward to reading more about your journey.
    Hugs! Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this scripture this morning and thought of you!

    So be truly glad! There is wonderful joy ahead, even though you have to endure many trials for a little while. These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold—though your faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world. (1 Peter 1:6-7, NLT)

    ReplyDelete