Sunday, November 4, 2012

What My First Modeling Gig Taught Me: Smile and Think On Good Things


Yesterday was my first modeling gig booked by an agency.  It was for a Walt Disney catalogue!  When people work for Disney they look at this online catalogue to see how their costume should fit. When looking at the catalogue they will now see my model friend Chad and I!  I was a bit nervous about what they would dress me in, but it was actually a lot of fun.  I played dress up with a photographer and Disney crew for 5 and half hours.  And in the spirit of Disney I had to smile.  I remember in a counseling class I was told that people could smile solely with their eyes.  At the photo shoot it was important for me to smile with both my mouth, eyes; actually my entire face.

This continuous smiling caused me to be mindful about my thoughts. I had to stay positive about what I allowed to go through my mind.  My thoughts would often stray to relationship realities, stress, and life obstacles. But, when my thoughts shifted to these things I could feel the frown, the un joyful smile, the fake smiley eyes presenting themselves before the camera.  At times I had to force myself to think on good things. It was when I thought on good things that I allowed myself to enjoy the present. The beautiful costumes, the bright lights, the nice people. 

In life there are so many things that can bother us daily.  For some weeks I have been contemplating a recent relationship that was broken.  I reflected: “Did I make a mistake?  Should I have done this?  Should I have done that? Is it too late? What can I do?  Are they ok? Has my path been altered? Where should I go?  What do I need to do?

It is often imperative that we face our realities in order to move forward, however, it is also important to take the time to think on good things. Otherwise, life will overwhelm us.  We have to take things one-step at a time.  One day at a time. One hour at a time. Sometimes one minute at a time.  When things overwhelm us it shows up in our spirit, which reflects in our face, our eyes, our smile. 

When life gets you down and your face is showing it try to smile anyway.  This modeling gig taught me that when my mind stays thinking about the negative, smiling and thinking on good things could bring light into my spirit and heart.  

Philippians 4: 8 notes, “And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.” (NLT)

Brothers and sisters, smile and think on good things!  

No comments:

Post a Comment